Video review of the album from two different reviewers:
Release Date 1994
10 out of 10!!
All songs by Rickey Medlocke and Benny Rappa except where noted:
After the Reign is a Blackfoot album released on May 24, 1994. It was the final Blackfoot studio album. Guitarist Zakk Wylde makes a guest appearance on the title track playing the second solo in the lead break section.
- “Sittin’ On Top of the World” – 4:40 (Lonnie Chatmon, Walter Vinson)
- “Nobody Rides For Free” – 3:58 (Medlocke, Mark Woerpel)
- “Tupelo Honey” – 4:31 (Van Morrison)
- “Rainbow” – 4:28
- “It’s All Over Now” – 4:29
- “The Road’s My Middle Name” – 4:06 (Bonnie Raitt)
- “Hang Time” – 4:24
- “Tonight” – 3:40
- “After The Reign” – 5:19 (Medlocke, Rappa, Woerpel)
- “Bandelaro” – 3:34
- Rickey Medlocke – vocals, guitar
- Benny Rappa – drums, percussion
- Mark Woerpel – guitar, synthesizer
- Tim Stunson – bass guitar
Rickey Medlocke (vocals/guitar), Mark Woerpel (guitar)
Tim Stunson (bass) Benny Rappa (drums)There was no long term contract or steady pay coming in to keep the band behind Medlocke. As 1992 rolls on bassist Tim Stunson and Liz Larin drummer Benny Rappa take over the back end. You might remember Woerpal from his helping on the Medicine Man album. Well he joins the band full time in 1992 as well.
- After some time thinking over his next move Medlocke hunkers down and records an album of grass roots rock. So comes the album After The Reign. Lead off by another Shorty Medlocke favorite in Sittin’ On Top Of The World. Performed by Shorty along with countless others over the years. There is something for fans of every kind of rock. You have one of the best mixtures of Blues, Country, Rock, Metal, Top 40, Acoustic styles contained in one album. Produced my Rickey himself and released on the now defunct Wildcat Records. Benny decides not to tour behind the album so WASP’s Stet Howland joins. The band’s biggest dates were supporting Deep Purple. Although having a bad cold the band is featured at the 1994 Sweden Rock Festival.
5.0 out of 5 stars Foots Don’t Fail Me Now
For those of us who grew up on Blackfoot from 1975 on . . . for those of who did grow up . . . should appreciate this grown-up sound. This is a release that’s unafraid to do what it wants and not what’s current or dictated by the past.
5.0 out of 5 stars the best Blackfoot since no reservations,
Blackfoot is a great group always has been. since medlocke left the stuff produced today is blackfoot but its missing something called Rickey. after the reign has a great cover of van morrisons Tupelo honey son houses Sittin on top of the world. but when you need to complete an album you sometimes musicians use cover songs. this album has a great deal of killer Blackfoot stuff. an i know because i own all of the rickey medlocke Blackfoot. No reservations, flying high, strikes, tomcattin, marauder, siogo, vertical smiles, rick medlocke and blackfoot, then came medicine man a great and heavy blackfoot record then after the reign. i have em all and i this one is as good as anything medlocke has ever done. buy it and see for yourself if your just now discovering blackfoot you’ll buy all you can after you hear this. what a great note for Rickey to end blackfoot on. though i he brings his blackfoot back.
5.0 out of 5 stars Blackfoot Goes Out With A Bang,
Blackfoot went out with a bang on AFTER THE REIGN. This wasn’t another FLYIN’ HIGH, STRIKES, TOMCATTIN’, or MARAUDER, and yes, it has more cover versions than it should, but it still contains some good originals, especially “”It’s All Over Now””, which could be about saying goodbye to people you were once good friends with, but with whom you now have little or nothing in common. An excellent way to end a career- or is it really the end?
5.0 out of 5 stars AFTER THE REIGN
Masterpiece like all the works of Blackfoot .if you like Rickey Medlock voice and blackfoot this tape is great he is over shadowed in lynyrd skynyrd
5.0 out of 5 stars must have Blackfoot
THIS IS THE LAST BLACKFOOT ALBUM AND EVEN THOU SOME OF THE ORIGINAL MEMBERS HAVE PUT BACK TOGETHER BLACKFOOT THEY DON’T HAVE RICKY MEDLOCKE. MEDLOCKE IS AND WAS BLACKFOOT AND ONCE HE DECIDED TO END THE BAND AND JOIN SKYNYRD BLACKFOOT ENDED WITH HIM. THIS ALBUM WAS A GREAT FINISH TO THE BAND AND A GREAT ALBUM OVERALL. IT HAS A BIT MORE OF A COUNTRY AND BLUES FEEL BUT IT’S STILL GREAT SOUTHERN ROCK. THE MAIN SONGS OF INTEREST ARE: TOP OF THE WORLD, NOBODY RIDES FOR FREE, RAINBOW, HANG TIME, AND AFTER THE REIGN. ALL SAID AND DONE I’M KINDA SAD BLACKFOOT ENDED. AFTER THE REIGN, BLACKFOOT FOREVER